Ethical, Legal, Social, Environmental and Human Dimensions of AI/CI (SHIELD)
SHIELD has five main goals:
(1) To create a vibrant environment within IEEE CIS to innovate, implement and evaluate the ethical, social, legal, economic, cultural, environmental, and human dimensions of AI/CI on society.
(2) To examine how trust in CI/AI can be achieved through stakeholder engagement and co-production in research and innovation.
(3) To continually review (and provide opinion on) current and emerging global legalisation and standards in the field of AI and data driven technologies
(4) To promote and organise technical activities (special sessions, panel discussions, special issues, workshops, etc) on the ethical, social, legal, economic, environmental, and human dimensions of CI/AI technologies
(5) To instigate change in the professional practice of researchers through consequence scanning practices and the embedding of ethical practices as a norm.
SHIELD will focus on proposing technical /practical solutions to assess the impact of CI/AI across the dimensions of ethical, social, legal, economic, cultural, environmental, and human, amongst others. This work will be interdisciplinary in nature, cultivating additional experts in CI/AI, social science, phycology, law, ethicist, communications, environmental science, education, business, and engineering.
Under the supervision and the coordination of the IEEE CIS Technical Activities Committee, Ethical, Legal, Social, Environmental and Human Dimensions of AI/CI (SHIELD) is established to create a vibrant environment within the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (CIS) to provide a platform to bring together the many dimensions (not limited to ethical, social, legal, economic, cultural, environmental, and human) which are required to research, innovate, develop and deploy responsible and trustworthy CI/AI for humanity.
Committees Chairs and Members
Current directory of Chairs and members: Ethical, Legal, Social, Environmental and Human Dimensions of AI/CI (SHIELD) Technical Committee Members.
Meetings will be called by the Chair once or twice a year, usually in conjunction with the CIS AdCom meetings or as requested by the DMTC members. Sufficient advance notice of the meetings will be given to the members, as well as to other interested parties. The Chair shall prepare an agenda before the meeting and shall prepare minutes for distribution after the meeting.