IEEE CIS Neural Networks Pioneer Award Nomination Instructions
The IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Neural Networks Pioneer Award recognizes significant contributions to early concepts and sustained developments in the field of neural networks. This award recognizes two types of pioneering contributions: (1) fundamental understanding and (2) engineering application. This Neural Networks Pioneer Award is considered annually and may be given to an individual or a group not exceeding three persons who contributed to the advancement of theory, technologies, and/or applications of neural networks by inventing new technologies, creating innovative technical developments, implementing new products, or managing innovative product design or production processes. The prize includes a plaque plus US$2,500 honorarium, plus travel support for each recipient and one companion to attend award presentation in the year of the award. For those who are interested in submitting a nomination for the IEEE CIS Neural Networks Pioneer Award, the materials needed are the following:
•Nomination Letter with the following information:
•Nominator: name, affiliation and email address of nominator
•Nominee: name, affiliation, postal address, email address and webpage address of nominee
•Basis for Nomination: detailed documentation that includes:
•Category of nomination: Identification of the category of pioneering contribution as either (1) fundamental understanding or (2) engineering application.
• Scope of the evaluation window: Significance of contribution made at least 15 years prior to the award date. The Pioneer Award is not a lifetime achievement award. The nomination should specifically describe technical contribution(s) that occurred at least 15 years prior to the year of the Award. • Nomination Focus: The nomination should focus on at least one, and at most three major technical contributions, which had realized impact and verifiable evidence. The impact and evidence of those contributions, as well as possible spinoffs (e.g. patents or follow-up papers), might be more recent, but they must be clearly associated by the nominator with the original contribution. Please discuss the pioneering nature of cited contribution in light of the category of nomination, the impact on the industry, economy, government, and society, and the impact on neural networks research and development from the point of view of theory, technologies, and/or applications.
•Proposed Citation: provide suggestion for the complete, correct, and succinct citation. The Awards Committee reserves the right to make any necessary change on the citation.
•Up to five reference letters supporting the nomination.
Failing in providing the above due material will negatively affect the nomination evaluation.
The complete nomination packet must be saved in a single pdf file containing the above information in the given order. The name of the file must be surname_of_nominee-NNPioneer.pdf. The complete nomination packet must be submitted by email to the Awards Soliciting Nominations Subcommittee Chair, Sanaz Mostaghim ( Sanaz.email@example.com ) and a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only when the Awards Committee Chair acknowledges receipt of the nomination packet, the submission procedure can be considered complete. The deadline is April 30 (strict deadline). Self-nominations are not allowed.
The list of past awardees is provided below for reference:
- 2018: Lee Giles
- 2016: Marios M. Polycarpou and Jürgen Schmidhuber
- 2014: Yann LeCun and Jun Wang
- 2013: Frank Lewis
- 2011: Jose C. Principe
- 2010: Vladimir Vapnik
- 2009: John G. Taylor
- 2008: Gail Carpenter and Kumpati S. Narendra
- 2007: Michael Jordan
- 2006: Donald Specht and Erkki Oja
- 2005: Carver Mead
- 2004: Andrew Barto
- 2003: Kunihiko Fukushima
- 2002: Terrence Sejnowski
- 2001: David E. Rumelhart and James L. McCelland
- 2000: Leon Chua
- 1999: Robert Hecht-Nielsen
- 1998: Geoffrey E. Hinton
- 1997: John J. Hopfield
- 1995: Michael A. Arbib, Nils J. Nilsson, and Paul J. Werbos
- 1994: Christoph von der Malsburg
- 1993: Thomas M. Cover
- 1992: Shun-Ichi Amari, Walter Freeman, and David Willshaw
- 1991: Bernard Widrow, Stephen Grossberg, and Teuvo Kohonen
If you have any questions regarding the IEEE CIS Neural Networks Pioneer Award nomination, please feel free to contact the Awards Committee Chair: Cesare Alippi at email@example.com.